Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Birthday Brat

Happy October! It's officially my "birthday month". Yes, I am a birthday brat, I will admit it. I celebrate my birthday all month long. My birthday is October 26th, but the celebrating and countdown begins today. I realize that I'm 26 years old (soon to be 27 - eeeek!!) and it's a little old to be so excited about my birthday, but I don't care. Birthdays have always been a big deal in my family, so it started at a young age. With my birthday being so close to Halloween, I always used to have Halloween themed birthday parties. We would go on haunted hayrides, do Halloween crafts and ALWAYS wear costumes for my party. The fun part is that I got to be 1 costume for my party and then I got to be something else for actual trick-or-treating. See, Birthday Brat.

The other really exciting part about my birthday is it's actually the day that Sailor Boy and I met, 3 years ago. We technically got introduced the week before, but my birthday was the night we talked, exchanged numbers and it was the start of everything. We met through our mutual friends, R and T, who were dating (and still are!). I was good friends with R and Sailor Boy was roommates with T at the time. We were all playing on a social kickball league in town, except Sailor Boy wasn't on our team. I had gone over to T and Sailor Boy's house the week before my birthday to pick R up for a girls night. I saw this very adorable boy (with blonde hair...I love blonde boys) and we briefly said Hello. I didn't think too much about it, except a few days later R told me that Sailor Boy had asked about me. I thought she was joking at first, but then she got the idea to get us together. We had a kickball game on my actual birthday, so she hatched a plan to throw a "kickball/kim's birthday party" at T and Sailor Boy's house after the games.

Since it was my birthday (and I'm a brat), I changed out of my yucky dirty uniform and into cute clothes for the party. I may or may not have been tipsy (but not drunk!) and we spent most of the night flirting with each other. I was being my typical birthday self at the party and I told him that when I was little, I liked to tell people that my birthday was Halloween. Well then Sailor Boy whips out with "well my Birthday really is Halloween". I called his bluff until he pulled out his license. I think that's what sealed the deal for me. Then we kissed. Oooops. I was on a birthday/vodka tonic high, so I had an excuse. We actually have a picture of us from that night and it's one of my favorite pictures....I love that we have something to show our kids from that very first meeting.

The rest is history. We pretty much started dating right after that and it's been 3 great years! So here's to October, my birthday and my fabulous boyfriend!!

6 comments:

LovesPINKandPEARLS said...

yay for long birthday celebrations!!!

Kate said...

Woohoo for October birthdays!

erin said...

Happy Birthday Month! I too celebrate for as long as humanly possible so I totally understand :)

Off topic, I randomly came across your blog and realized that you have my dream job. And since you're the same age as me, and from MD I thought I'd see if you have any suggestions on how one gets said dream job? If you have a moment, I'd love to hear from you! I guess if you comment back I could send you my email?

Erin.

Barefoot in the Park said...

what a cute way of meeting! i'm all for celebrating birthday months, and weeks!

Kim said...

Erin - You can definitely email me with questions about wedding planning. I will admit, I sort of fell into it, but I'm happy to give you information! my email is kimblog19@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday in advance..! Well, Halloween themed birthday parties are really a good idea.

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs