Red Pepper and Pear Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 Anjou pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 (32-oz.) container fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Garnishes: thinly sliced fresh pears, plain yogurt, chopped fresh chives
1. Melt butter with oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add bell pepper and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in chicken broth and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes.
3. Process soup, in batches, in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. (I just used my Cuisinart stick blender and it worked great...much easier since I didn't have to keep pouring it into the food processor) Return to Dutch oven, and keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish, if desired.