Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ham Biscuits


I went to college in North Carolina and I was introduced to Ham Biscuits early on in freshman year. My sorority used to serve them for every brunch, tailgate, mixer and all other social events. Pair that with a sweet tea and you pretty much have a perfect meal. Unfortunately, you can't find Ham Biscuits this far north.

Last winter, Sailor Boy and I were down in Richmond visiting my sorority sister C and her husband for the weekend. C made a huge batch of ham biscuits for us to snack on all weekend and Sailor Boy FELL. IN. LOVE. He had never had them before and he basically thought they were the greatest things ever. He begged C to give me the recipe, which she did, but I have yet to make them, much to his dismay.

Sailor Boy went to a wedding for some of our friends last night (I was working) and the bride grew up on a tobacco farm in Southern Maryland, so all the food at the wedding was very southern-inspired. And guess what they served for cocktail hour - Ham Biscuits. He called me from the reception to tell me about it. When I picked him up drunk from the bar last night at 1:30am, he told me about them again. He actually talked about them on most of the way home. He also brought them back up this morning when he was nursing his hangover on the couch. So it looks like I may be making them soon. For anyone not familiar with the Ham Biscuit, here's the recipe that C gave me.

1 1/2 lb. boiled ham
1 1/2 lb. Swiss cheese
3 pkg. Pepperidge Farms finger rolls
2 sticks butter, softened
3 tbsp. prepared mustard
3 tsp. poppy seeds
2 tbsp. minced onion

Split rolls. Mix together butter, mustard, poppy seed and onion. Spread both halves (top and inside) of rolls with mixture. Layer ham and cheese on biscuits and replace with top half. Bake at 325 degrees until cheese melts (about 15 minutes). Serve hot.

Delicious!

3 comments:

Wila (aka Ali) said...

My own dear mother (who lives in Richmond!) makes these ALL THE TIME! She used to send me several packs when I was in college and they girls just woofed them down. I actually have a pack in my fridge that she sent home with me last week... (though they're probably not still good.) Always a hit!

The Pink Owl said...

We have these at just about every family get together! I love them!

Kiss My Tiara said...

This is so funny! My pledge sister is from Northern Virginia and though that is technically in Virginia sometimes I wonder if they are a part of the South at all! We had a sorority brunch last year and she had never had a ham biscuit and not only had she not ever had one but she hadn't heard of them either! I was literally in shock haha. She thought they were so good and I couldn't believe she had spent 21 years and had never tasted a ham biscuit!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs