Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mother's Day Plans

So I'm an only child and I'm really close to my mom (well both of my parents actually). This year, when I asked her what she wanted to do for Mother's day, her answer surprised the crap out of me. "I want to come over to your house for brunch". WHAT? My mom wants me to cook for her? She knows I'm not exactly Julia Child in the kitchen - I do OK, but it's not like gourmet or anything. I mean, when I cook something, it usually consists of me calling her about 50 times to ask random questions about ingredients and cooking times.

Her main reason for this is because her and my dad are currently renovating their kitchen (like, completely gutted and new EVERYTHING). It's about a 6 week project and they started last week. So they are basically eating every meal out and I think she's getting sick of it. She wants a home cooked meal in the comfort of me and Sailor Boy's apartment. Sailor boy is actually the MASTER of breakfast/brunch foods. It's one of our favorite things to do...make a huge weekend breakfast together. He cooks and I clean up. So he's more up for the challenge than I am. To keep it pretty simple, I think we're going to do a quiche of some sort, breakfast potatoes and fruit salad. I should be able to manage that. Sailor Boy is doing the potatoes and the bloody marys (another one of my mom's requirements for this breakfast). Does anyone have a really good, pretty easy quiche recipe? I've found a few, but none that really jump out at me. I'd like do do something veggie - maybe like spinach and mushroom with some ham and cheese? I'm pretty sure I'm going to just buy the pre-made crusts...way easier that way. So wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Red and White Preppy said...

I was feeling major deja vu while reading your post! I'm an only child and am very close to my mom as well. My parents are also renovating their kitchen, and it has been completely gutted. Therefore, they've been eating out or at my place when they come to town :) Thanks for the advice about the Banana t-shirts!

What Kate Wore said...

Oh, good luck- I know it will be good. I bet Sailor Boy comes up with something pretty creative *and* pretty good. Hope yo have fun!

Well I Do Declare said...

Good Luck!!! I am sure it will be fabulous. When I make pies, I typically buy the roll out crusts, but a woman I did some babysitting for told me that the Food Lion Brand frozen pie shells are really flaky and buttery... might be just right for a quiche! I found this a little surprising considering Food Lion is about at the bottom of the grocery store food chain here, but I thought I would pass it along anyway :)

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs