Friday, May 30, 2008
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
During -- she's loving that grass skirt.
Not sure if you can tell, but the trim around the neck and straps is actually twisted, sort of like rope...i love it! With the 20% off sale, they were only $144 each! K has finally decided on navy with shades of pink and white as her final colors. So imagine that dress with a bouquet of pink and white flowers. I think it's going to be so pretty!! Plus, she wants to throw in some nautical touches, and I think that dress is semi-nautical with the neckline. The best part...she bought us both the dress as our present!! How amazing! I'll report back when they get here on how they fit.
Lastly...I want to thank my awesome summer swap partner, Barefoot in the Park, for my wonderful swap gifts!! I love it all!! Everything was adorable...I'm actually going to do a post about it tonight....with pictures! Spencer loves her toy...I almost didn't want to give it to her since I know she will just eat it in a few days! :-) But thank you again!! You should get mine soon...hopefully tomorrow!
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Spencer had her 4th puppy class tonight. She did SO much better than she has been doing. She's finally got "down", and she did awesome with stay. I am so proud of her. Last week she didn't do very well at all, so I was nervous she might not pass. She's halfway done with class and she's well on her way to becoming quite the well behaved and smart dog.
Speaking of Spencer, her favorite thing to do is to roll in the grass. When I get home from work and take her out, the first thing she does is dive into the grass and then roll like crazy. She gets this huge grin on her face and wags her tail and pretty much is the happiest dog in the world. It's honestly one of the cutest things I've ever seen. I'd been meaning to take some pictures of it, and I finally remembered last week...so here they are:
That last picture looks scary, but she's actually yawning. You can tell because her eyes are closed...she yawns more than any dog I've ever met. But she definitely looks super ferocious with her big scary baby dog teeth!!
Sailor Boy is going away for the weekend to Asheville NC for his cousin's wedding. I'm super jealous, but I have to work. He's the best man and the wedding should be amazing...it's on the bride's parents 100 acre farm. I'm sending him with my camera so he can take lots of pictures. We have a wedding at work on Sunday, so it really cuts into my holiday weekend. I'll be off Monday and Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get to enjoy some holiday weekend fun...mainly in the form of our community pool. It's actually not my community pool, it's my BFF K's pool. We call it "Melrose Place" because pretty much all of our friends go to the pool, plus it's mainly also other people our same age and there's always some sort of drama. I totally love it. I spend all my free time there all summer.
I'm getting all my Preppy Summer Swap stuff ready for my wonderful partner, Barefoot in the Park. I'm almost done shopping and I'm so excited to send her everything!! By the way partner, fabulous post about the ebates!! I checked it out today and I'm totally obsessed!!
Friday, May 16, 2008
The color is obviously amazing and I think the cut will be very flattering as well. They also had it in a pink brocade, but I didn't love it. The best part is that it has pockets, which is definitely my latest obsession in skirts and dresses this season. I'll report back when it gets here. What color shoes do I wear it with though???
I also have been slowly and secretly ordering/buying new fun stuff for our house. I know it doesn't make sense to buy things before you move in, but I can't help myself. This is the first house that I've lived in post college that has a fireplace. I have no idea why this excites me as much as it does. So I ordered a candle holder that sits in the bottom of the fireplace! This is probably really nerdy, but I just really like them and since we probably won't make a lot of fires in the fireplace, I want something in there so it's not just bare. I can't find the exact one online, but here's a picture that's really close to the one I got:I've also been shopping for outdoor furniture, but I won't be buying anything without Sailor Boy's input. I LOVE Teak...but that's not really in our budget right now. Maybe I can convince my parents we need a nice new patio set as a housewarming present!
In non-shopping related news, tonight we're going to a surprise party for our good friend L. She has no idea her husband B has been planning this for weeks, and to be honest, she doesn't really strike me as someone who likes surprise parties. Plus, he's taking her out to dinner and leaving the basement door unlocked, so that we can all let ourselves in before they get back and surprise her. To me, this is not such a good idea. I don't know too many girls who like coming home from a nice romantic dinner with their man to find 30 people in their basement, eating their food and drinking their beer. Plus, B sent an email saying he "got some food for the party" and to "help ourselves". This is boy speak for "I got 6 bags of chips and a couple of cases...come on over". I feel like L would probably want a little bit of say in this party, mainly in cleaning and organizing the house and serving actual hors d'oeuvres and food. We shall see.
If the weather holds up, hopefully we will be taking Spencer hiking with us on Sunday. Sailor Boy is very big into the outdoors (fishing, mountain biking, camping, hiking) and while he can't convince me to join him in all those activities, he has made me quite the hiker. I love it! There's some really great parks and trails all within driving distance of our house, so we go quite a bit in the spring, summer and fall. I really like exploring new areas and seeing cool new things. This is the first time we're bringing Spencer with us, so I hope it goes well. Being a hound mix, she's quite a sniffer, so it may not be a very productive hike, as I'm sure she will want to smell every plant, leaf and rock.
Hope everyone has a wonderful and relaxing weekend!!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
So in order to dress the dress up, I want to get a new pair of colored or print heels to wear. I've found a few things I like, but they're all pretty pricey and I think I could do better. I've searched Zappos like crazy and nothing is jumping out. I've also looked at Nordstrom online and I'm not impressed by anything either. This of course led me to JCrew, as they typically have a good selection of heels. Here's what I found so far:
This blue pair comes in a few other colors (purple, green, yellow) and it's the exact style and type of shoe I want. They're on sale right now, but they are still $199. I just don't know if I can spend that much, considering I won't get a ton of wear out of them since they are so bold and dressy. One bonus is they have my size (6.5) in every color so I could really pick anyone I wanted (I'm liking the blue or the green)
This pink pair is pretty amazing too...I'm of course
partial to pink and I love the bow. They are also on
sale ($199), but the downside is they don't have my size. I might be able to call JCrew and see if they could find them for me somewhere.
These are pretty fabulous as well...that turquoise
bow is amazing. Of course, these are NOT on sale and retail for $228. HMMMM.
Here are the final pair. I saw a girl wearing them
at the wedding at work this weekend, so
I've seen them in person and they are adorable.
I'm back to pink obviously. They aren't on sale,
but they're a steal at $198 (the cheapest!!)
So those are my options that I've found so far. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!! I'm thinking I may just have to suck it up, spend alot (since I did get the dress so cheap) and then wear those damn shoes every day of my life.
Monday, May 12, 2008
I went to get tulips for my mom early Sunday morning (i know, i'm a bad daughter). As I'm checking out of the Giant with my orange tulips, the cashier gave me a bit of helpful information. Put pennies in the bottom of the vase with the tulips...it will make them last longer. Then, the woman in line behind me chimed in with "if you use pennies from before 1981, it will be better since those are pure copper". Well alright. Did anyone else know this bit of tulip trivia?? So I went home, dug out some old pennies and gave it a try. The cool part was as soon as I put them in the vase, they opened right up, which was nice. My mom loved them and I will check with her in a few days to see if they are still pretty. Here's the pics I took of the tulips before I gave them to her:
We did also manage to take Spencer to the dog park by our house for a little while, which she loves. She's right in between playing in the small dog park and playing in the big dog park. She thinks she is a big dog (she still has some growing to do) and loves to play with the big dogs, but sometimes she gets intimidated by them and wants to go to the small dog area. I think she personally does better in the small area, since she's still a puppy and she's still learning how to play. Plus, I think she does like being the biggest and fastest dog in the little area. It's just as entertaining for me and Sailor Boy as for Spencer...we've even made some human friends there.
And just because she's the cutest puppy in the world, here's some new pics of Spencer girl I took the other night
Seriously...can anyone resist that face???
Saturday, May 10, 2008
I'm about to start baking a blueberry cake for our mother's day "brunch" for tomorrow. I think the blueberry cake will become my go-to dessert. This will be the 4th time i've made it and people seem to really like it. Typically my idea of baking is breaking and baking.
The wedding tonight at work was AMAZING. Seriously, it was exactly what I would do for my own wedding. The colors were navy, green and pink. The tablecloths were navy pintuck and then she had 3 different types of pink and green floral centerpieces. Mainly hydrangeas and peonies. A few hot pink orchids thrown in there - so adorable. She also had some limes throughout some of the centerpieces which I love...I think it's so fresh and preppy. The bride had the most gorgeous dress - it was actually very pale pink. Am I a stalker if I said I took some pics as we were setting up? hehe. I'm actually mainly doing it for my own BFF K's wedding...i've been taking pictures of most of the weddings at work for her to get ideas. So anyways, not sure if this is even legal, but here's the cell phone pics i took:And I'm not even usually a fan of tall big poofy centerpieces, but these were actually very tasteful and not over the top. Totally love it!
Friday, May 9, 2008
5 Things I Can't Live Without Under $10:
1. Chap Stick (the royal blue one with SPF 15)
2. Clorox Wipes
3. Physician's Formula Solar Powder Bronzer with SPF 20
4. Cherry Coke Zero (i'm trying to cut back to 2 cans a week...this is way down from what i was consuming!)
5. White Cami's with a shelf bra (i usually stock up at like Old Navy). I wear them under everything in the summer, so I buy in bulk.
5 Favorite Movies:
1. Pretty Woman
2. Mean Girls
3. Breakfast Club
4. Love Actually
5. Clueless (i know every line)
5 Baby Girl Names That I Love:
5 Baby Boy Names That I Love:
5 Songs You Could Listen to Over and Over:
1. Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
2. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
3. Anything by Jack Johnson (all his music reminds me of summer and I love it)
4. Old School Madonna
5. Actually, pretty much any and all 80's music. Obsessed!
5 Things That Stay In My Purse At All Times:
1. Chap Stick (i have 3 in there right now)
2. Cell Phone
3. My Epi-Pen (I'm deathly allergic to nuts)
5. Vera Bradley Wallet
5 Obsessions I Have Right Now:
1. Dark Chocolate Raisinettes (I literally can eat an entire bag in one sitting)
2. Colored Heels (I'm trying to find a cute pair to wear with a black dress to a wedding this summer)
3. Our new house and finding cute accessories and furniture for it
4. Warm Weather - I'm ready for summer! Along with that is new SUMMER CLOTHES!
5. Planning our fall vacation for November - any suggestions are welcome (we want to go somewhere WARM)
5 Places I'd Love to Go:
1. Capri, Italy (I went in college, but we were only there for 1 day and it wasn't long enough)
3. The Seychelles
5. Ibiza Spain
The weather here today makes me just want to stay in bed all day. Tonight I have a small get together to go to for my friend M who is getting married next month in Maine. She actually is going up there next week and staying through the wedding, to get everything together. Should be fun.
Tomorrow at work I have the wedding of one of my most favorite brides...sometimes I get really close to certain brides (like I really could hang out with them and be friends with them). She's such a sweetheart and her fiance is so nice (and very attractive...haha). They are calling for rain here again, so I have my fingers crossed that the forecast will change because I will be so sad if she has rain on her wedding day.
I'm getting excited for the Preppy Summer Swap that Running Just as Fast as I can is hosting!! Can't wait to find out who my partner is and start getting together some cute stuff for her!!
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Also, I got online shopping happy this afternoon. I ordered Spencer this:
It's a Lands End squall coat that has a LCD light in it so you can see your dog at night!!! Totally obsessed! Plus, it was on sale for $14.99. Can't beat that. Sailor boy is going to kill me.
I'm also in the market for a banquette/buffet table of some sort for the "dining room". This house doesn't have a formal dining room like we have now, so we'll be using the couch to seperate the space into a dining area. So I want to get some sort of a table to make that space seem a little more "dining". Here's another piece I found at Target that I like:
The one thing I'm NOT excited about it packing!! grrrr. I really really hate it. When I moved into my apartment last summer I said I was never moving again..ha. One year later, here I am. Luckily, Sailor Boy is moving/packing NAZI so it should go pretty smoothly. I've never seen anyone move or pack as fast as he does. It's crazy. I just stay out of his way and do what he says...he seriously moved me into the apartment in like 4 hours. We don't get to take "breaks" and I don't get to figure out where I want stuff...he just plops it down and keeps moving. I guess it's good, but it's definitely a little frantic. My favorite part of moving anyways is unpacking and putting stuff where it goes.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Her main reason for this is because her and my dad are currently renovating their kitchen (like, completely gutted and new EVERYTHING). It's about a 6 week project and they started last week. So they are basically eating every meal out and I think she's getting sick of it. She wants a home cooked meal in the comfort of me and Sailor Boy's apartment. Sailor boy is actually the MASTER of breakfast/brunch foods. It's one of our favorite things to do...make a huge weekend breakfast together. He cooks and I clean up. So he's more up for the challenge than I am. To keep it pretty simple, I think we're going to do a quiche of some sort, breakfast potatoes and fruit salad. I should be able to manage that. Sailor Boy is doing the potatoes and the bloody marys (another one of my mom's requirements for this breakfast). Does anyone have a really good, pretty easy quiche recipe? I've found a few, but none that really jump out at me. I'd like do do something veggie - maybe like spinach and mushroom with some ham and cheese? I'm pretty sure I'm going to just buy the pre-made crusts...way easier that way. So wish me luck!!
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Spencer starts puppy school tonight!! And not a moment too soon, let me tell you. The problem is that she's been sort of cooped up while she's recovered from her spay surgery...the vet said not to let her run around and get too crazy until she gets her staples out this Friday. Well I think it's finally wearing on her, because you can tell she wants to run and jump, but we really aren't letting her. I know, we're so mean. All her built up energy is turning her into terror puppy! She's constantly barking and trying to run while we're out on walks, being super stubborn and generally just not listening to us. It's like she went from a very well behaved dog to a devil dog overnight. So I'm anxious to see how the class goes tonight and if we can start her back on track of behaving.
On my day off yesterday, I stopped by Marshalls and TJ Maxx to see if they had anything good...everyone had been talking about finding tons of cute Lilly and VV stuff at their stores. Well there was NOTHING at either of them. I was really bummed. Marshalls had ONE Lilly wrap shirt, but the print and style reminded me of hospital scrubs, so I didn't even try it on. I did get a very cute pair of black peep toe espadrilles (which I'm wearing as we speak). I like them because the heel is not too high. With my job, I'm constantly running around, but I still like wearing heels, so I was happy to find a cute compromise. Then, I went to get a pedicure and I was reading the latest Lucky magazine while the woman did my toes and there was a whole article on how lower espadrille heels are going to be the new hot thing for spring/summer. I was so excited!! For once, I was right on track with the trends!! Usually I just wear pretty basic, classic stuff and I would rather buy 1 or 2 timeless things than a whole bunch of trendy pieces. But it is nice every once and a while to know I'm not totally out of style...hehe.
Has anyone gotten their economic stimulus refund yet?? Sailor Boy got his today, but I haven't gotten mine. It's being directly deposited, so I've been checking my account a million times a day. I know I should probably save all of it, but I've had my eye on a few new j.crew purchases...and didn't Bush say he wanted us to SPEND it?? I hope it gets here this week!
Monday, May 5, 2008
1. I had braces for 7 years. I got them on in 3rd grade and off in 10th grade. Yes, my teeth were "jacked up" (that's what sailor boy says when he sees pictures of me from back then...isn't he so romantic). Because of this, I am now anally obsessed with keeping my teeth straight. After I got my braces off, I wore my retainers religiously every night. It's definitely trailed off, especially now living with Sailor Boy (it's not very romantic to cuddle up to a metal mouth every night). But I still try to wear them at least 2 times a week.
2. I always have a ponytail holder on my wrist. In case I need to throw my hair up in a ponytail. This wouldn't be so weird except for last summer, I completely chopped my hair off into an angled bob (think Jenny McCarthy) so it doesn't fit into a ponytail anymore. But it's a habit now from when I had long hair, so I still just keep it there....i even sleep and shower with it on my wrist. Sometimes after they get worn out or gross, I'll replace it with a new one. Even when I'm dressed up, I have to remind myself to take it off. Right now the one I have on my wrist is hot pink.
3. I failed my driving test 3 times when I was 16. If I had failed one more time, they would have made me re-take driver's ed and wait 6 months to take the test again. The 2nd time I failed I actually got into an accident with another car on the course. It was a girl I went to high school with and she bumped me as she was turning into the course and I was exiting. We both failed automatically...and I had just completed the whole course and passed! I was so upset that I didn't speak to her for weeks at school.
4. I'm obsessed with Clorox Wipes. Like, really obsessed. Last year, as one of my christmas presents, Sailor Boy bought a 4 pack, wrapped them and put them under the tree. And I loved it. I compulsively wipe the kitchen counters and floors with them several times a day. I probably go through a container every 2-3 days. My favorite is the orange scented ones.
5. When I was 23, I went to visit my best friend C who lives in Ft. Lauderdale. On my last night of visiting her, we decided to bring 2 water bottles of vodka to the bar with us in our purses to save money on buying drinks. (We thought this would be a really awesome idea after we'd already had some drinks in her apartment) It worked great, except for halfway through the night, I reached into my purse to get my cell phone and I realized that my water bottle had come open and the entire bottle of vodka had leaked into my purse. There was literally a puddle of vodka in the bottom on my purse. My cell phone, camera, wallet were all SOAKED (and the cell phone and camera were dead). It was very interesting trying to fly home the next day and not be able to call Sailor Boy to tell him my flight landed and that he could come pick me up from the airport...he still hasn't let me live that one down. Oh, and it was my favorite black purse...which I had to throw away because it was ruined.
6. The first time I tried to cook for Sailor Boy (like 2 weeks after we started dating), I thought I would come off cool by cooking him this huge meal of enchiladas, beans and rice. Only I couldn't cook AT ALL. I got my roommate at the time to give me her recipe for enchiladas because they were so good and easy. The secret ingredient in them is actually Cheez Whiz (i swear, it's really good). Well I didn't read the recipe and added the entire jar of Cheez Whiz (it called for 1/4 jar), plus an entire bag of shredded cheese (it called for half a bag). I didn't realize this until we start eating them and we're both like "wow, these are really cheesy"...about 10 minutes later we both are laying on the couch in pain from the extreme cheesiness. I think we were each only able to eat like 4 bites of it before we realized it was basically unedible. I haven't made enchiladas since that. I have also become a much better cook...now I actually read the whole recipe!
Saturday, May 3, 2008
My friend R' s house where we hosted the party...how perfect is that pink tree in the front yard?
Drink Table - Sailor Boy's contribution to the party was to make me 2 pitchers of sweet tea...its seriously some of the best I've ever had (and I went to college in North Carolina so I'm picky about my sweet tea)
We cleared out all the furniture from R's living room and made that the dining room Dessert!
Food Table - we had so much food...I cooked all weekend leading up the party
The Favors - tea bags of South African Tea. K was actually born and raised in South Africa, so we thought it would be nice to tie that in.
Since we did such a big, fun, girly party for this...I have no idea what I will come up with for the shower!!
Friday, May 2, 2008
Thursday, May 1, 2008
I will also admit that sometimes I do find Sandra annoying and overly perky. But I still look past that and watch her religiously. Some of her receipes are not that good, but I have found some really good ones. I like using her receipes for entertaining, because it's much easier and I don't have to spend hours preparing stuff...and I can still pass it off like it's my own. I'm also a fan of her cocktails...because really, who doesn't like to end a meal with a good cocktail or two.
I made her blue cheese crusted filet mignon last night because I was thinking Sailor Boy and I needed a little treat after being so exhausted from puppy training the past few weeks. Sailor Boy is a huge steak guy (he would eat it every night if he could), so he was very excited. I hardly ever cook beef besides like tacos and burgers on the grill. But this came out really delicious!! We have this amazing steak place in our town called Lewnes, and while I don't think it came close to rivaling that, I was still very proud of myself.
2 tablespoons bleu cheese crumbles
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
2 teaspoons fines herbs (i just used Montreal Steak Seasoning - we like our steak spicy so I used more than 2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
4 (6-ounce) filet mignon steaks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup cognac (ok, I admit it...I used Sailor Boy's Crown Royal because I really didn't want to go to the store to buy cognac that we will never drink - that's why it's semi-homemade...i work with what i have)
1 cup organic beef stock
1 teaspoon crushed garlic (i just used the jarred minced garlic)
1/4 cup frozen chopped onion (I used a fresh onion - i'm not a fan of frozen onions)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, combine bleu cheese, bread crumbs, herbs, and 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil; set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large saute pan and heat over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper and to add pan, but do not crowd. Sear 1 to 2 minutes per side just to brown. Remove pan from heat and transfer steaks onto prepared baking sheet.
Top each steak with 1/4 of blue cheese mixture. Finish cooking steaks in preheated oven for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 6 minutes for medium, and 8 minutes for well done.
Return pan to stove and deglaze with cognac by scraping bits from bottom of pan. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce liquid by half.
Serve steaks hot with sauce.
Delish! I forgot to take a picture of how mine came out, but I can tell you...it was beautiful!
Is anyone else SUPER happy it's already Thursday?